Whether you are going down the street or across the country, moving can be a stressful process. Try these few tips to help make your move more manageable… and keep all of your hair, too.
1. Get organized.
As soon as you know you are moving, create a hub for all related things to help you stay organized. Start by creating a checklist of things that need to get done as well as putting together a budget. You will want to add items such as notifying your post office and utilities companies, as well as booking either a moving company or a truck and supplies to your checklist. File all your moving documents in a single location, whether in a physical binder or a digital folder. You will want everything in one place.
If you have trouble deciding on a budget, there are a few things to consider. Hiring a moving company can relieve a lot of physical and mental stress, but it comes at a cost. According to the Canadian Moving Association, the average cost for a local household is $2,300 for 3 movers at $200 per hour. Talk about pricey! That being said, if you do your research and are able to hire a reputable moving company, there can be many pros to outweigh the cost. We spoke to Evgeniy from High Level Movers and here are just a few advantages of hiring movers:
- Leave the heavy lifting to the professionals: Carrying furniture and boxes can be a big physical challenge, one which movers are professionally trained to handle safely and efficiently. Not to mention you won’t have to worry about dropping or damaging any of your items, or accidentally scratching floors or walls in the process. Your possessions will also be insured in case anything were to happen.
- Focus on what really matters: If you have children or pets, you won’t have to worry about finding a sitter or chasing them around while you are carrying things to and from the house.
- Efficiency: Hiring a reputable moving company can save you time, money and the need for extra manpower. You won’t have to deal with flaky friends, running late or realizing at the last minute that you don’t have the appropriate or enough supplies and equipment. Moving companies are usually on contract with you to arrive on time and they will come fully prepared.
- No driving worries: Many people are not comfortable driving a big truck or trailer, especially down a highway or longer distances. These vehicles are notoriously tricky to maneuver, and with a moving company you won’t have to worry about any of it!
Packing can be the most time consuming part about moving. Take this opportunity as you go through all of your belongings to declutter anything you no longer need or that might not suit your new space. Decluttering before packing can help save you from moving items you don’t need.
You’ll want to ensure that you have all of the packing supplies you need. Gather varying sizes of boxes to fit different items. Don’t forget bubble wrap or tissue paper for glassware and other breakable items. If you are unsure of where to get these items, you can always contact your moving company (if you decide to use one) and they may offer these items. They can also give you an estimate of what you will need in terms of supplies.
Another important packing tip is to label everything. And label it well. Save your future self from the frustration of sifting through dozens of boxes to look for one item by categorizing everything. Try to avoid vague labels such as “kitchen” and be more specific – using a label like “plates” or “small appliances” can help you to easily identify the contents.
Make sure that your labels are visible on all sides of the box, and don’t forget to add which boxes contain fragile items.
3. Change your moving mindset
By reading this and following these tips, you’re already on your way to having a smoother moving experience. As you check all of the boxes on your list, do your research and pack up your things, and get excited about starting a new chapter in your life. Hopefully, you’ve hired a moving company that will remove the stress and frustration many people experience in the moving process. The best mentality you can have when going through a stressful time is an easy-going one. Be flexible and have a positive attitude, and you will be able to sit back and enjoy the mini adventure that is relocation.
If you are looking to hire a great moving company, we’ve already done some of the research for you. Contact High Level Movers using the information below:
High Level Movers